Avast has just released new February update to the Avast Antivirus 2018, it is actually the first program update in 2018. Build version is 18.1.2326. As always with Avast, you can update to the latest version completely for free. If you are not interested in the update details, you can go directly to download links.
The latest update contains a lot of bug fixes and optimizations. Besides a few small new features under the hood which common user won’t notice, there are also two major ones – AntiTrack and Anti-Exploit (not sure why one has dash and the other don’t). AntiTrack basically stops any kind of tracking when you are browsing the Internet, so online advertisers can’t identify your user profile and identity. It works as a paid add-on to any version of Avast Antivirus and costs $1.99 per month ($23.88 per year).
Anti-Exploit is an additional module to all Avast Antivirus versions, including the free one, which increases protection against exploits, shellcode, and other malicious executable files. It comes as a separate module which is outside of the File Shield and can be disabled via Settings » Troubleshooting » ‘Enable anti-exploit module‘. For example, Malwarebytes offer Anti-Exploit as part of their premium suite, so thanks much Avast for offering this one to free users as well.
The great news is Quick Scan is back! In the last update in December 2017, Avast decided to remove Quick Scan from their scan options. A lot of users were disappointed as they were using this scan regularly. So Avast listened and it’s now back under Protection » Scans » Custom scans » Quick Scan.
Overall the update seems stable and we definitely recommend to perform it. If you are not sure how to update your Avast, please follow our step-by-step guide.
The full list of changes/fixes contains
- NEW Anti-Track (paid add-on for $1.99 / month) – Stops any kind of tracking when you are browsing the Internet, so online advertisers can’t identify your user profile and identity. Read our full Avast AntiTrack Premium product review.
- NEW Anti-Exploit – Additional module to all Avast Antivirus versions, including the free one, which increases protection against exploits, shellcode, and other malicious executable files
- NEW Quick Scan – Quick Scan has been reintroduced and is located under Custom Scans
- IMPROVED Virus Chest – You can add multiple files at once to Virus Chest
- IMPROVED Executable Scanning – Scanning of downloaded executable files (.exe) has been improved
- IMPROVED Update/Installation – Updates or new installs of Avast are now more reliable due to additional server support
- FIXED Virus Chest Files – Fixed scanning of files which are located in the Virus Chest
- FIXED Game Mode – Fixed bug which was causing games to be minimized every 30 seconds
Avast 2018 February Update Screenshots